I was wandering through Anthropologie last week and became enamored with their embellished lampshades. I decided to make one myself. After all, for what they were asking, I could buy a dress instead. (Which I did.) I gathered together a collection of textile remnants from my studio stash, borrowed Carl's Super 77 spray adhesive (sshhh don't tell) and just dove into the project. My style is a jumbled mix of a little bit of everything so I enjoyed the mashup of plaid, florals, silks and knits with a few ribbons and trims. It was a really fun project and I finished the shade within a couple hours.
I started with a bronze metallic papered shade with the thought that if it showed through it would be okay. The adhesive is stinky and messy so I opted to do the project in Carl's workshop. I covered his pretty bench with newspaper and gathered my supplies.
After selecting each piece, I turned it over and sprayed it with the adhesive. I let it set up for about 15 seconds then applied it to the shade. The adhesive remains repositionable for a little while, so don't worry if you need to move it once you've set it on the shade. I layered the textiles, trying to add as much texture and color as possible. I added trims to the top and bottom as a final touch. What I enjoyed about this project was entering it with a sense of abandon and knowing I could finish it rather quickly. That's my kind of DIY!